Update 2/17/20: Deacon Nominations have officially ended. We will begin working through the process with potential Deacon nominee candidates.
Thank you for taking the time to complete this Deacon Nomination Form. Deacon nominations will be taken up to the end of our AM service on Sunday, February 16th.
This is an important role in our church, as Deacons serve the body both regularly and in times of special need. Acts 6:1-7 sets forth a biblical standard for Deacons when it records,
“And the twelve summoned the full number of the disciples and said, “It is not right that we should give up preaching the word of God to serve tables. Therefore, brothers, pick out from among you seven men of good repute, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we will appoint to this duty.” (Acts 6:2-3).
The biblical setting for Deacons is that of a servant. If we were to make a distinction between Pastors and Deacons, it would be that Deacons are to be servant-leaders while pastors are teaching-leaders. As one theologian put it, “deacons lead the church by serving and pastors serve the church by leading.”
With this understanding, we ask that you prayerfully complete this form, evaluating each question honestly based on your knowledge of the nominee’s qualifications for the office of Deacon at Eastridge Baptist Church. Please begin the process by reading 1 Timothy 3:8-13 and Acts 6:1-7.
Once you have studied and prayed over the responsibilities and biblical qualifications of a Deacon, if you have a viable candidate, we ask that you please answer the questions regarding the nominee below. Please answer all the questions on the form for each nominee.
You can nominate more than one candidate. An option to nominate another candidate will be given after you complete the form below, or you can simply return to this page and complete the form again.
If you complete a PDF version of this form, please submit the form to the church office, one of your Pastors, or a Deacon before the end of the AM service on February 16th. If you complete the online form, it will be submitted automatically, but must be submitted before the end of the AM service on February 16th.
Our process for Deacon affirmation can be found in the Church By-Laws. However, if you have any questions about the church’s Deacon selection process, please contact a Pastor or Deacon.
The responsibilities of the Deacons are to:
- Oversee the spiritual health and well-being of the church.
- Ensure a balanced and effective approach to ministry.
- Provide leadership that allows the church to fulfill its primary mission while adhering to sound biblical doctrine.
- Facilitate healthy communication within the body of the church.
- Oversee church discipline and conflict resolution.
- Oversee and participate in the benevolent and practical ministries of the church.
- Work alongside the church staff, officers and ministry teams to fulfill the church’s purpose and mission.
- The Deacons shall meet on a regular basis for prayer, discerning the needs of the body, and communicating with the church to ensure unity within the fellowship.
- Dignified – He is worthy of respect because he seeks to know and follow God's will, as well as he is able to keep his feelings and actions under control.
- Not double-tongued – His word can be trusted. He doesn't say one thing to one group and another thing to another group.
- Not addicted to much wine – He is not dependent on substances to get him through the day or week. He isn't dominated or enslaved by anything other than Christ.
- Not greedy for dishonest gain – He is not hungry for power or materialism. He doesn't use his position for his own selfish gain.
- Holds to the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience – He believes the gospel and God's Word. He lives according to the faith he professes.
- Manages his children and household well – He is a good family man who administers his own household well. He loves his wife and children, teaches them God's Word, and helps them live according to God's will.
- Husband of one wife - He is a one-woman man, being faithful to one woman. His eyes and affections do not wonder, he sticks by her through the thick and thin, and is focused on his wife and her needs.
- Church Member - All Deacon candidates must be a church member in good standing.